2 tbsp olive oil
1.15 kg oxtail pieces
150 grams prepared red onions – peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped
2 celery stalks – trimmed, peeled and chopped
175 ml good quality red wine
900 ml rich chicken or vegetable stock
110 grams pearl barley
90 grams dried puy lentils
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves (optional)
- Put the oil in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat, when hot add the oxtail and brown, remove and put to one side.
- Add the onions and celery to the pan, sweat for about four minutes without browning, add the garlic after three minutes.
- Return the oxtail to the saucepan, add the wine and stock, bring up to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover with a lid and cook for one hour thirty minutes – check occasionally to see if more stock is required.
- Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool then cover and chill in the fridge, when cold remove and discard any fat.
- Take out the oxtail, remove the meat from the bone, return the meat to the pan, discarding the bones.
- Add the pearl barley and simmer for thirty minutes before adding the lentils, stir and cook for another 30 minutes.
- The pearl barley should swell and the lentils should be tender while retaining their shape.
- If the soup is too thick, add more stock then check seasoning and adjust, garnish with the parsley and serve with fresh crusty bread.